Saturday, February 28, 2009

From our Hotel Room.........

Just a quick post from Chicago.... We made it here in record time on Friday. The drive was easy and the weather was great. We picked up Steve's good buddy, Gary, at the airport and then we were off to lunch and eagerly awaiting the arrival of Mom and Dad Herdoiza. We went bowling in the afternoon to pass some time and Steve's dinner reception began at 6:00.

The reception and dinner were very nice. A few former players and his coach were there too. Steve gave an incredible speech and I was so proud of him! He is an excellent speaker. His speech was moving, funny, emotional, and truly demonstrated what a profound impact Northwestern tennis has had on his life. He is amazing!...... all that talent, a great husband, a caring dad, a genuine friend...........

Following the dinner, the guys went out to get a drink and I went to relieve the babysitter. (Plus I was pretty tired after the long day.) Unfortunately, the night was only beginning... At about 3 a.m. Amanda got sick. She caught the stomach flu somewhere. Poor thing! Being sick in a hotel room :( We were up all night. I'm hoping the worst has passed. Everyone is at the basketball game and I am hanging out with Amanda as I type this. She has been watching movies and has a slight fever. She has been able to keep some water down so I will try Motrin in a couple hours. I hope no one else catches this AWFUL thing. C'est la vie! What a bummer for Amanda and Steve!

3 comments:

Maureen said...

I can't believe Amanda always seems to get sick when you are on vacation. It's awful being stuck in a hotel room, and being sick in a hotel room is even worse. I'm glad to be home tonight and out of our hotel room. Hopefully you guys have a speedy drive home and Amanda is feeling better for the drive. Try to enjoy a little of the rest of your trip.

Steve said...

Wow. You said such nice things and it's not even my birthday or our anniversary. Thanks. And by the way, just to set the record straight it is my wife who was truly amazing. She comforted Amanda and made her feel as good as she could in such a bad place to be sick in. All the while, she insisted on me fulfilling my weekend obligations. What a trooper. Thanks for making my weekend special. Love ya

Kaye said...

My heart goes out to you guys. We celebrated with you from afar and agree with both of you...you are both truly amazing people. Blessings & love!