Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

Where to begin... it seems like every weekend has been a whirlwind lately.  Fortunately with all the rain we had a few events canceled making our life much more manageable.  Here are a few highlights from last week...

Gabby and I went to watch the kids participate in field day.  The weather was beautiful and everyone was having a good time.  It didn't take me long to find Nicholas in the throngs of kids.  He was the one wearing his bandanna like the cat-in-the-hat!


















Off and running.... Nicholas loved all the racing events...












I caught up to Amanda on the putting green...she was on the red team and had tied her bandanna fashionably around her leg.  She was a little more difficult to spot out of the crowd than Nicholas.











Gabby wanted to participate in her own field day event.... this was the gymnastics portion...all the first graders were cheering her on...

Nicholas playing a little field hockey...

Saturday, in lieu of soccer, the kids decided to go to their end of the year tennis party.  I was thrilled not to sit in the rain for another weekend.  After tennis Laura came over so we could work on cookies for Tyler's upcoming 1st birthday party.  He is having a dinosaur themed birthday, so naturally we made dinosaur cookies.  Here she is..... hard at work... frosting cookies with a stern look upon her face...because frosting cookies is serious business...and she had to look like she was working diligently because I had the camera in hand.  
Now this is more like it...au natural....we really had a fun time frosting and it shows on her face!

Here's the second cookie decorator...we were getting so excited to near the end of icing all those cookies.  We were hard at work for a couple of hours.

Steve got a shot of the two of us just as we were finishing up. WOOHOO!  That was a lot of sugar and a lot of decorating.  By the end we were coming up with all kinds of creative and fun cookies.  We had a great time, and I can't wait to recruit Laura for my next cookie making Olympics!
I would give Laura the gold medal for her cookie swirling techniques.  Whenever something wouldn't come out exactly how she planned...she took a toothpick and swirled the colors together...making pretty feathery strokes....because some dinosaurs had feathers.... and Nicholas backed us up on this point....maybe not the T. Rex...but in Laura's dinosaur imagination... what dinosaur couldn't use a few feathers! 
In the end... the feathered T.Rex fell into the "eat-able"pile...I gladly shared it with Laura.  The cookies tasted great!



Here is a sneak peak of a few of our friendly, T.Rex birthday dinosaurs.  You will have to see the rest of the stegosauruses at the party. 

On Sunday we had to leave some time to finish our first grade science fair project, a model volcano.  Nick and I worked on the poster board earlier in the week, and Steve and Nick tried to make the volcano Sat. night.  Unfortunately, things didn't go according to plan.  Sunday morning I found myself googling "how to make a volcano"and watching videos on u-tube.  After much consideration...I went with the easiest....a volcano made from a recycled brown bag.  In the end the volcano came out great.  It was painted, covered with dirt, and lava was oozing down its sides. 

The entire time Laura was over decorating cookies, Amanda was begging to help.  I told her I would bake something with her on Sunday.  We could make cookies or cupcakes.  Nothing would make Amanda happy...even as she made her way up the stairs for bed at 9 o'clock, she was asking if I would start the dough so I could make cookies with her before she went to bed.  UGH!  I lost all patience...it was not a pretty sight!  Anyway...here I am keeping my promise.  We decided to make cupcakes because they were quicker than sugar cookies and most of the morning had been eaten up by making a volcano with Nick.  Here Gabby and Amanda are busy setting up.

Amanda in her glory....chocolate frosting and sprinkles...it makes her heart swoon...

Then the kids played a little Monopoly...continued over from the night before... houses were starting to get  bought and rent was skyrocketing.... look at all the cash between the 2 of them

And just because Gabby didn't get a lot of space on this post...here is that delightful...kissable...face!












Well...I'm off to bed now.  Hopefully I will have more fun stuff to share soon.  Until later.....

1 comment:

Maureen said...

What a fun field day! I only remember running races during field days in the old ages. Seeing that I wasn’t a very fast runner, I hated field day. These days field day looks much more fun. Miniature golf I could handle! And, I love Gabby’s attempt at joining in the fun.

The cookies look amazing once again. I can’t wait to see all of the dino designs on Saturday. How fun! I can’t believe you were up for making the cupcakes the following day. I would have been all baked out!

And monopoly can go on and on and on and on. I never seemed to end up with the good property.

Such a cute picture of Gabby at the end! Blow it up and frame!