Thursday, January 28, 2016

Teeth Drama

I wish the quality of these photos were better, but they all came from my phone.  I really need to pull out the good camera again.  Anyway, I wanted to document the drama that occurs with this little girl, in particular when it involves teeth.  When she was a baby, she was so happy, and very good at growing teeth.  I remember thinking she got her teeth a lot earlier than Nicholas or Amanda ever did. Just look at that toothy grin!  

Now flash forward 5 years, when those same teeth are becoming loose.  Not such a pretty sight!  Gabby has lost 3 teeth and each has been full of drama.  The first, she didn't know any better and wiggled and wiggled it until it came out and started to bleed.  It was crying and drama from the minute she saw blood.  Tooth #2 came out at Panera while eating a bagel.... once again crying in the Panera parking lot, rinsing blood out of her mouth, and swearing off bagels for the rest of her life.... because they do in fact make your teeth fall out.  By tooth #3, she wasn't having any wiggling... you were not allowed to talk about it, or wiggle it, and it stayed that way for over a month.  The dentist  told Gabby she should eat an apple everyday to make it fall out or else he would have to pull it out because her gums were becoming so swollen.  Little did I know, Nick was an excellent dentist and pulled it out with the entire family watching in the bathroom and Aunt Mo Mo on FaceTime offering psychological encouragement .  She was trying to get Gabby to associate good things like the Bahamas with losing teeth.  So this brings us to tooth #4.... and once again I was talking to Mo on FaceTime when Gabby comes up in a panic because she feels like her tooth is bleeding.  She did in fact get hit playing basketball in the basement.  The blood was there and the crying began and of course I snapped a picture like mother of the year.  What is Dr. Rashwan thinking about that behavior?  Fortunately for Gabby, in a matter of seconds I had pulled out her tooth with a washcloth and the trauma and drama was over.  Simple and quick and done in a minute.

 Now she was all smiles and looking like a hockey player!  Or as Emmersyn reminded us... she thought Gabby looked like a princess, not a hockey player.
 And that night the tooth fairy came and all was well with the world again.  Gabby is back to eating bagels and playing basketball, but never wiggling teeth.  Here's a selfie we took the next day.  That smile is the best!

I only have one more entry this month.  I've almost reached my goal.  Until later...

2 comments:

Gloria said...

Loved the pictures and the blog detailing poor Gabby's drama with losing her baby teeth. She is growing up so quickly. Loved the first picture of her in her car seat. What a cutie! She is certainly growing up to be a beautiful princess! Love her smiles.

Maureen said...

Loved this entry, as I have a fascination with TEETH and love GABBY! Two of my favorite things is life!

As for what Dr. Rashwan would say regarding the parent snapping a photo at such a time of crisis…. Here it is….“I don’t think Gabby’s emotional response, fear, panic, sadness, which is manifested in tears, has anything to do with the tooth, blood, or bagel. Rather, I believe at the unconscious level she is mourning the loss of childhood. She will never get back her baby teeth and what baby teeth signify and represent. And, she is experiencing a loss. Loss of a tooth that was part of her, and losing a piece of childhood. And, loss is filled with sadness and grief. She has not yet reached the stage of acceptance. So, by you snapping the photo you are capturing Gabby at a moment in time of her childhood that will be forever captured. Perfect. I can get into issues of control regarding the lack of control associated with losing a tooth, but I’ll save that for another day. You are an awesome parent for snapping that photo! Great intuition!”

Off to get my hair done!

By the way, I love your eye makeup in the selfie of you and Gabby! Gorgeous!